These guidelines are designed to protect you from unfriendly or disrespectful comments on BT.com. Please read them carefully.
You must not post Comments for these reasons or which are likely to have the following effect(s):
- To post comments or content (or knowingly receive content), that could be in any way unlawful, fraudulent, hateful, sexual, racially or ethnically or otherwise objectionable, defamatory, threatening, menacing, offensive, or obscene or in breach of any obligations of confidence.
- To flood or "spam" articles, moderators or users.
- To provide instructions for illegal, unethical, immoral or otherwise harmful activities.
- To publish any personal information.
- To make unproved allegations (especially of potentially criminal or significantly immoral activities) against an individual or organisation.
- To send or knowingly receive information relating to (or provide links to) material which is, or is likely to be unlawful or which does or is likely to infringe third party rights (including but not limited to: pornography, pirated software and computer games, or counterfeit goods, unlawful file-sharing sites, content which infringes third party copyright, trademarks, etc)
- To collect and/or distribute personal data concerning other users of the BT website.
- To impersonate another person or organisation, whether a friend, family member, celebrity, moderator, BT editor, BT employee, other commenter, etc.
- For the purpose of direct or indirect commercial gain. This includes the transmission of advertisements and any other attempts to generate business from other users.
- To post chain letters, pyramid (or similar) schemes.
- To Discuss active court cases, or people who have been arrested or charged (including those which are in the process of being tried) but have not yet been found guilty or innocent by a court and, where relevant, have not yet been sentenced.
- BT reserves the right to delete comments that appear irrelevant to the discussion in which they are posted or which are otherwise contrary to these House Rules. You are reminded that BT may also delete any comment for any reason in its discretion.
- You may be held legally accountable for what you say or do online (by BT, third parties, relevant authorities, etc). In particular, you may be held liable for any defamatory comments, threats and untrue statements or other illegal or fraudulent claims made by you. In broad terms, ‘defamatory comments’ are comments made against individuals (or organisations) which are untrue and which may harm their reputation or which may lower them in the estimation of other (right-minded) people. You would not necessarily have to name or clearly identify the individual or organisation for a comment to be considered ‘defamatory’ (for example, if you implied who it was, and/or some people knew who you meant, that could be enough for it to be defamatory of the person or organisation you had in mind).
- In submitting Comments (and any other material) to BT.com for use you warrant that the material is fit for publication.
- You may be held responsible for any breach of the rights of a third party, including intellectual property rights, if you have not obtained their permission (in advance) to the use or recreate their materials or intellectual property.
You confirm that your Comments do not breach any third party terms and conditions or agreements (for example, agreements you may have with third party rights owners or software companies). Any agreement required by the owner or licensor of any intellectual property rights as may exist in all software and information you access or post via Comments and to indemnify BT against any action or cost suffered or incurred by BT as a result of a breach by you of this term.
- BT does not undertake to monitor every Comment (either before or after they are published) or the conduct of every user of the commenting functionality. Monitoring staff may be online from time-to-time to ensure that other users are adhering to the House Rules. Any monitoring activity may be undertaken by BT or its appointed agent, acting on its behalf.
- Neither BT nor its third party contractors will be liable to you or to any third party from the publication, use or misuse of your Comments.
- BT does not endorse any Comments (including any opinions expressed therein) by any users.
- BT reserves the right at its sole discretion to remove Comments at any time and/or to disable any commenting functionality.
- Comments consist of information posted by third parties. As a result, BT accepts no liability in respect to the accuracy or truthfulness of any advice, information or data posted online or any responsibility for the consequences of your (or any third party) acting in reliance on such information
- If you fail to observe either the House Rules or the Community Guidelines at any time, BT reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to exclude you (either temporarily or permanently) from posting Comments depending on the nature and severity of your breach
- BT reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to deny or restrict access to commenting for repeated or serious breaches of the House Rules or Community Guidelines.
- BT reserves the right to change the House Rules at any time; such variations become effective immediately upon posting details of any such changes online. By continuing to use the commenting functionality you will be deemed to accept such variation.
- By accepting the House Rules you agree that BT may release your information (both present and past) to the relevant authorities where BT believes that you have breached the House Rules or have used the commenting functionality or its sites or services to commit unlawful acts or infringe third party rights. BT also reserves the right to disclose your personal information where required to do so by law and/or where we deem it appropriate in response to complaints which are of a serious nature.
If you choose or are issued with a username, password or any other piece of information as part of any registration or security procedures, you should treat such information as confidential and you are entirely and solely responsible for all activities that occur under your password and account. You should immediately notify BT of any unauthorised use or breach of security, or unauthorised use of your account at www.bt.com/contact. BT shall not be held liable for any loss or damage arising from your failure to comply with this term. BT reserves the right to disable any user identification code or password in its sole discretion.
- BT reserves the right to suspend or vary the whole or any part of the commenting service for any reason, at any time at our sole discretion without liability to you or any third party.
- If any part of these terms is found to be illegal or unenforceable, this will not affect the validity or enforceability of the remainder of these terms
- The English courts will have exclusive jurisdiction over any claim arising from or related to your use of the commenting functionality although we retain the right to bring proceedings against you for breach of these terms in your country of residence or any other relevant country. These terms are governed by English Law