A 13-year-old girl has been left scarred for life after her eyebrows were burned off when she suffered an allergic reaction during a botched beauty treatment.

Megan Billingsley was taken to a salon on June 18 as a treat to get her eyebrows waxed before a family holiday.

But she was left in tears and needing medical attention when tinting dye triggered an allergic reaction which caused her eyebrows to 'melt'.

Her fuming mum claims the beautician who gave Megan the eyebrow tint was told her daughter had sensitive skin but carried on anyway.

She is now considering suing Hair Heads salon in Solihull, West Midlands, after Megan was told she might be scarred for life.

"Megan went to the salon to get her eyebrows waxed as she was going on holiday with some of our family,” said mum Caroline, 31.

"I was down the road at a different salon on a sunbed but she went with a friend of mine who was looking after her.

"When they were done the friend asked if she fancied getting her eyebrows tinted and she told them she had reactions to hair dye.

"The beautician said 'we'll risk it' and went ahead and did it anyway.

"They never got a parental consent form signed and never asked my friend to check if this was OK.

"As soon as I saw her I realised she had had them tinted and we went back and washed out as much of the dye as I could.

"I was stunned when I found out they had not bothered to do a patch test to see if she was OK.

"We got as much out as possible and she flew off to Greece.

"When she was there I got a call saying she was in a bad way and they sent me some pictures and I was horrified.

"Her face was so swollen, she could barely see out of her left eye and her eyebrows had melted off.

"My stepdad who was on holiday with Megan was so worried about her he hired a car himself to take her to the hospital.

"They gave her some cream, but they told her she couldn't go out in the sun with it because it would react.

"She had to stay inside for the rest of the holiday. She was crying down the phone to me asking if she could come home, but there was no way.

"She still hasn't fully recovered and the doctors say she might be scarred for life.

"We had only just got her over a bullying episode at school and now she's getting picked on again.

"She doesn't want to go back to school now."

Caroline, a hospital cleaner who has two other children, now has to draw on Megan’s eyebrows every morning using a make-up pencil while her eyebrows grow back.

"Megan is normally such a happy, outgoing kid but this has really affected her. She is withdrawn and doesn’t want to go out,” she added.

"Even when her eyebrows do grow back there is no guarantee they will cover the scars.

"I went to the salon to ask them about it and the woman kicked me out and refused to talk to me. I want Megan’s experience to be a warning to other parents."

Megan said: "I just wish I hadn't gone to the salon. I really hope my eyebrows grow back normally but I might have to live with this for the rest of my life."

The owner of Hair Heads, calling himself Saab, said: "I have seen the photographs of this girl and I cannot say this did not happen but I will only respond formally to solicitors.

"I have run this shop for eight years and I have never had any problems."

Photo credit: SWNS