Start your morning with sticky delicious waffles and you’ll have a smile on your face – they’re perfect for birthdays, bank holiday brunch or just-because.
With the crunch of delightful crunch of the walnuts and the indulgent drizzle of the date syrup, these waffles are perfect to enjoy as a breakfast in bed. Say hello to breakfast, in style.
Ready in 50 minutes
300g spelt flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
50g melted butter (plus extra for greasing)
60g walnuts, toasted and chopped
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp walnut butter
30ml date syrup
Pinch of salt
2 bananas, sliced
You will need
1. First, sift the flour, baking powder, salt and bicarbonate of soda into a large mixing bowl. This will make the batter nice, light and airy. Whisk the eggs in a jug along with the buttermilk, milk, honey and melted butter.
2. Next, whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until you have a smooth batter. Leave to rest for 30 minutes.
3. After 30 minutes waiting, grease your waffle iron liberally with butter, sprinkle in some of the chopped walnuts, and heat until hot.
4. Cook the batter in batches until all the batter is used up, keeping the waffles warm as you go.
5. In a small saucepan gently heat the coconut oil, walnut butter and date syrup to form a sauce, then stir in a pinch of salt.
6. Serve with the waffles with the sliced bananas, drizzle with the date sauce, and sprinkle with toasted walnuts to finish.
Recipe and photo credit: California Walnuts
Do you prefer waffles of pancakes? Let us know in the Comments section below.