Forget lines and wrinkles. The majority of women who want to mask their grey hair completely, do so because they believe it to be one of the most obvious signs of ageing.
If you can handle the maintenance, an all-over colour will send greys packing, well, at least for four to six weeks.
"My theory is that you can wear almost any colour, but it must work with your eye colour, skin tone and complexion," advises Christel Lundqvist, TIGI global technical director.
"As you get older, it's better not to try and recreate the original colour of your hair before you began to go grey, but to re-think the intensity."
Go grey the right way with these tips for silver tresses:
- Rock a great cut - Going grey is a bold statement and you need a style to match. Sharp lines and a great shape will really give your hair impact.
- Tackle the texture - Choose products with natural emollients to help tame wiry locks. Synthetic silicones do work in the short term but can be drying over time, so look for nourishing ingredients to soften and control the hair.
- Bring back shine - Grey hair is dry and if you don't feed it and keep it moisturised, it will look dull. Drink plenty of water and make sure you eat a balanced diet with lots of leafy greens.
- Invest in haircare - Good quality products with super-hydrating ingredients, like silk protein, can restore moisture, balance and form a protective barrier around the hair. Silk's strength also helps improve elasticity and resilience - just what grey hair needs.
- Treat your tresses - Give your locks a weekly moisture boost with an intensive treatment for extra hydration and to keep grey hair looking glossy and healthy.
- Touch-up - There's now products for those that don't want their roots showing inbetween dyes. Color Wow's Root Cover-Up acts like a concealer for stray greys. The powder (matched to your natural hair colour) is easily applied and instantly camouflages grey roots.