Mould is a direct result of excess moisture, triggered by cold, dark and damp conditions.

Household bathrooms and loft spaces are often a victim of the unwelcome fungus due to the lack of airflow and ventilation, leading to stains, smudges or discolouration on your walls, ceilings and even carpets. But worse still, it can affect your health.

Producing allergens that can cause a reaction, irritants and, in some cases, toxic substances, mould spores can at times result in an allergic reaction and asthma attacks just via inhalation or touching.

If you have mould or damp, it’s vital the affected area is investigated and treated. Follow these top tips to kick it into touch for good…

1. Ventilate

Ventilating rooms regularly and leaving doors open will allow air to circulate. In particular, keep humid spaces such as bathrooms and kitchens as well-ventilated and as dry as possible. If you’re cooking or showering, close the door of the room you’re in and open the window or switch the fan on to curb moisture. Remember to hang shower curtains and towels out to dry, too.

2. Insulate

Ensure your home is well insulated – if it’s not, look into upgrading. Bad insulation can often be a root cause of mould; if walls and ceilings are properly accounted for, they will be less affected by the condensation that triggers the fungus. Heating your home a little more can also help.

[Read more: Are you allergic to your house?]

3. Repair leaks

Prevent moisture seeping into cavities by tackling any plumbing leaks – big or small – urgently. If you can’t solve the issue yourself, seek professional help. But be patient: it can take weeks of heating and ventilating to dry your home out post-repairs – especially if your home is a new build suffering from damp.

4. De-humidify

Leaving your bedroom window ajar or opening it for 10-15 minutes at the start of the day; keeping lids on saucepans, drying washing outside (where possible!) and avoiding using paraffin or bottled gas heaters can all result in long-term mould prevention. Consider installing an electric de-humidifier in badly affected areas to remove any damp.

[Read more: 5 common causes of damp - and how to fix it]

5. Be equipped

Putting a stop to pesky mildew can be as easy as equipping your home with mould-resistant products from DIY stores. While an anti-microbial spray works to prevent spores from settling, anti-mould paint from a brand such as Ronseal is effective in that it resists moisture and steam. There are even anti-mould shower curtains if you fancy it!

Do you have any mould-busting tips? Tell us in the comments below.