Now that Spring is officially here, you’re probably thinking about making your home look pretty with a bright bouquet of flowers, or a houseplant you can nurture through the warmer season.

What you might not think about though, is how your plants affect your pets.

There are some plants that can be lethal to animals if ingested so pet owners should do their research before bringing in any plants inside the home – and in the garden.  

Experts at Battersea Dogs and Cats Home revealed a short list of the most common houseplants and flowers to look out for that could be harmful to your dog or cat (there are many more so be sure to check each individual plant).

1. Lilies

Lilies are popular and pretty flowers but can cause severe kidney failure if your cat ingests any part of this flower.

Brushing against the pollen can cause particles to cling to their fur which can be ingested during grooming.

Certain types of lilies can also be harmful to dogs.

Avoid having these types of plants in a house with pets.

[Read more: Which pet should you get? Find out with our quiz]

2. Daffodils

Any portion of this plant can be highly toxic to cats.

It can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal pain, convulsions and can cause a drop in blood pressure.

The bulb of a daffodil is the most dangerous for dogs and cats.

3. Tulips and hyacinths

These flowers are from the same family and both can be harmful to your animals.

The bulbs are poisonous to dogs and cats. Ingestion can cause vomiting and breathing difficulties.

4. Aloe Vera

Although this plant has great healing properties for human skin, there are parts of this plant that are dangerous to your dog or cat.

The white sap that comes out when the leaf is broken is poisonous to your pets. 

[Read more: Giant hogweed and 5 other dangerous foreign plants you should avoid]

5. Ivy

These are familiar plants in and around the home but for our four-legged friends, ingesting its leaves in large quantities can cause breathing difficulties or even a coma.

6. Dieffenbachia

Also known as Dumb Cane, these plants may have a name you might not know, but they are a common houseplant that can cause oral irritation, vomiting, a burning sensation of the lips, tongue and mouth, leading to breathing difficulties in dogs and cats.