Want to know how you can protect your home from burglars? There's plenty you can do to reduce the risk.
From always locking your windows to using dimmer switches, here are 10 ways:
Top 10 tips for securing your home:
1. Don’t leave your keys or ID documents within easy reach of doors, letterboxes or windows.
2. Close and lock all doors and windows. If you have multi-locking door handles, lift the handle, lock it with the key and remove it. Remember - LIFT - LOCK - REMOVE. Put the key in a safe place out of sight in case of fire.
3. Lock garages and sheds so garden tools and ladders can’t be used to break into your home.
4. Keep side gates locked and wheelie bins stored behind them.
5. Use timer switches linked to lights and a radio so it appears that someone is at home.
6. Invest in a safe for valuables and sentimental items, and securely fix it to a solid surface.
7. Install a visible intruder alarm system – burglars don’t want to be seen or heard - or a home security system like Y-Cam, which is voice-activated and has add-ons, so you can watch your home from your phone.
8. Install low level ‘dusk till dawn’ lighting to increase visibility and deter burglars.
9. Keep side and rear boundaries high to restrict access and front boundaries low to remove hiding places.
10. Photograph and mark valuables and sentimental items with your postcode and house number/name. Register items with serial numbers at the national property register Immobilise.