You may have noticed something called a Household Enquiry Form dropping through your letterbox.

If you haven't received yours yet, it will be make its way to your household any day now. 

This is sent out to each household across the country between July and November each year. The letter is sent out by your local council, so the exact date for sending them out can vary significantly.

The form lists the current eligible voters in your household and asks you to check and update the details.

[Read more: How to check your credit rating and get a better one]

And if you don't respond to it you could face a £1,000 fine.

How do I confirm the details?

You need to include the name and nationality of everyone aged 16 or over who is resident and eligible to vote and then send the form back.

You can fill out the form physically if there are changes to be made, or do it online. The letter will give you a website to visit and security codes to give you access to your household’s records.

If there are no changes to be made, you will also have the option of calling a Freephone number.

What happens if I don’t send the Household Enquiry Form back?

Failing to respond could land you with a criminal record and a fine of up to £1,000.

And if you respond with false information, you could face a fine of up to £5,000 or even prison.

Don’t panic if you’ve already binned your form though. Your council will send out a second form as a reminder, with a visit from council staff to follow if you still don’t respond.

To be on the safe side, it’s probably a good idea to call your council to ask them for a second copy just in case though.

Registering to vote

It’s important to note that just because you are deemed eligible to vote, that doesn’t mean that you are registered to vote.

You will need to register individually, separate from the Household Enquiry Form. It’s a good idea, not only because it means you can have a say in local and general elections, but also because it helps your credit rating as credit agencies can see you live where you claim to live.