A woman who thought a small mark on her foot was a verruca was horrified to discover it was actually skin cancer.

Jayne Dickson, 50, was in the middle of wedding planning when she noticed a pale spot on the bottom of her foot.

Keen to treat it before her imminent wedding to Ray Dickson, 60, and dream honeymoon to California, she saw a chiropodist.

But the chiropodist was unsure if it was indeed a verruca and after minor treatment advised her to see a GP for a referral to a dermatologist, which she did before the wedding.

However, the appointment with the dermatologist – which led to her being referred to hospital for a biopsy – came in December after her wedding.

It was following the biopsy she found out the verruca was in fact a sign of skin cancer

Jayne, from Wrexham, North Wales, said: "After being told it wasn't a verruca something made me go to the GP to find out what it was.

"I never thought it would be skin cancer. I was so lucky it was caught early. It had only just started to spread.

"Most people don't bother to check their feet but they should."

Jayne, who works for the local authority has now been in remission for two years, remembered spotting a mark inside the instep of her right foot in February 2012.

She said: "I noticed this little mark and presumed it was a verruca.

"I was in the throes of organising my wedding - going dress shopping, planning the music and the flowers.

"I just kept looking at it so in July I made an appointment with a chiropodist."

This was when doubts were first raised that this was just a harmless wart.

She said: "The chiropodist looked at it and was not convinced it was a verruca.

"She took the top off and told me to come back after the wedding. She wanted to see how it looked then."

Ray had popped the question in Rome in December 2010 and the couple married in a ceremony at St Giles Parish Church in Wrexham.

Jayne Dickson and husband Jay on their wedding day

She said: "It was a beautiful day and I was so excited for the honeymoon.

"We went to Las Vegas first because we have friends there.

"Then we went to California. After three weeks of bliss we came back."

It was a few months later she attended the dermatologist appointment and subsequently attended Wrexham Maelor Hospital for a biopsy.

In February 2013, Jayne received the results at the hospital.

She said: "I met the skin cancer nurse specialist there. She said, 'It's melanoma,' and the bottom fell out of my world.

"Ray had come with me and we were both shocked."

Jayne had acral lentiginous melanoma, a form of genetic, rather than sun-related cancer, which usually occurs on feet, hands and nails.

She had to quickly come to terms with the news.

"I never imagined that small mark could be cancer," said Jayne, who struggled to deal with her shock at the news. "I had to have it removed as quickly as possible."

In March 2013, she had surgery at Whiston Hospital in St Helens, Merseyside, to remove the tumour which was around 2.2cm in diameter.

She also had some lymph nodes in her groin removed. As part of her treatment, she had radiation injections to track how far the melanoma had travelled.

She said: "I was offered sentinel node biopsy treatment, which involved six injections of radiation in my foot.

"It was so painful. The radiation tracked the drainage of the tumour into my lymphatic system.

"I also had a skin graft from my upper thigh, to cover where the tumour was removed on my foot.

"The skin graft looks like bubble wrap on my foot."

Jayne Dickson had a biopsy on her foot

Unable to walk following the surgery, her husband had to look after her.

And in April 2013, she had the other lymph nodes in her groin removed, after microscopic traces of cancer were found in them. She also had a drain put into her right leg to help to remove lymphatic fluid.

Following the surgery, she was told doctors had removed all of the cancer.

Now passionate about patients being given informative advice while they are treated, Jayne has worked with the British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons to produce a booklet about surgery.

She has done this in conjunction with her surgeon Mr Rowan Pritchard-Jones.

She also launched the Wrexham branch of North West Cancer Research which directly funds research into all cancers including her own.

She still has check ups every three months, which involve her foot and the rest of her body being inspected for any moles or marks.

She said: "I might get it again in the same place or somewhere else.

"But I'm hoping I will be one of those who never has cancer again.

"If, by telling my story, I can make one person just look at their feet and go to their doctors, I'll be happy."