BT MyDonate is the official fundraising and donation platform for the Patron’s Lunch on June 12.
The lunch is set to be an incredible, iconic event with 10,000 guests gathering on The Mall outside Buckingham Palace for a street party as never seen before. The lunch celebrates the Queen’s patronage of over 600 charities and organisations across the UK and Commonwealth.
BT MyDonate is providing secure and commission-free fundraising to the Patron’s Organisations. The event will also raise funds for a specially created charity, The Patron’s Fund, which will provide grants to the charities the Queen acts as patron thereby helping to further support the legacy of her patronage.
Support The Patron’s Fund as The Queen celebrates her patronage of more than 600 charities.
BT is proud to be a Royal Warrant Holder for supplier of Communication, Broadband and Networked Services. Here are 6 fun facts about how BT and the paths of her Majesty the Queen have passed throughout her reign.
- 1953: The coronation of Queen Elizabeth II triggered such a huge demand for television that BT had to build a new network to cover the broadcast, and have had to meet the broadcast bandwidth demands ever since.
- 1958: The Queen opened BT’s long distance telephone network.
- 1975: BT’s research and development labs at Martlesham were officially opened by HRH Her Majesty The Queen. These research labs have since developed many technical advances from video on demand services, the first instantaneous translation of speech by computer and the world’s first automated ‘spam buster’.
- 1984 ‘Prestel’ -The Pre-internet Internet (a world first)- won the Queens’ Award for Technological Achievement. This was the World’s first viewdata network.
- 1995 The BT Tower played host to the Queen to celebrate the 50th anniversary of VE Day with the Queen switching on the fireworks at the BT Tower.
- 2014 the Queen sent her first tweet at the opening of the BT Sponsored ‘Information Age’ gallery at the Science Museum which was then shown on BT Tower.
Learn more about The Patron’s Lunch and The Patron’s Fund at http://www.thepatronslunch.com
Donate to The Patron’s Fund at https://mydonate.bt.com/tpl or by texting PATRON to 70025 (£5 donation plus the cost of a message).