In 1954 a system of broadband and microwave links was proposed ahead of the expected increase in demand for long-distance telephone calls and television networks. Using a tower in central London meant traffic issues caused by cable laying could be avoided.
The location of the Post Office Tower (as it was originally called), in Cleveland Mews, Fitzrovia was chosen due to its proximity to the Museum telephone exchange in Howland Street. In the video below, find out more about the construction of the BT Tower.
In 1962 a competition to name the planned tower was run in Post Office Magazine, specifying ‘names must be short, easy to say and should express something of the purpose of the tower’. The name Post Office Tower was chosen above suggestions such as: Pointer, Spindle, Liaiser and Telebeacon. The winner was awarded a £10 prize.
The Tower was designed by Eric Bedford and G. R. Yeats. Writing in Architect and Building News, Eric Bedford said: “If the tower has achieved anything as a piece of design, this lay in the fact that an honest attempt had been made to meet the functional requirements and to combine these with the simple principle of slenderness, accepting the structure that emerged rather than attempting to impose any pre-conceived notion of what a tower should look like.”
Watch other episodes in our ‘Secrets of the BT Tower’ series
- Secrets of the BT Tower: Television
- Secrets of the BT Tower: View from the top
- Secrets of the BT Tower: The lift
- Secrets of the BT Tower: BT Sport
- Secrets of the BT Tower: 14th floor
- Secrets of the BT Tower: Communications
- Secrets of the BT Tower: Construction