If you are a BT customer, the My BT app makes it easier than ever to check your broadband use.
Available to Android and iOS users, the award-winning app* allows you to check and pay your bill, test your broadband speed and optimise your router.
The app has recently been updated. As long as you’ve got a mobile data (3G or 4G) connection or are connected to wi-fi you can check your broadband usage using your mobile phone.
What is data?
When your computer, tablet or phone uses the internet to upload and download things, it uses data.
Downloading includes retrieving information when you visit a web page, opening emails and attachments, streaming web radio or videos from YouTube or using Google Maps.
Uploading is when you send an email, upload a photo or video, or video chat.
The amount of data you use depends on what you are doing. Video streaming or downloading a movie, for instance, uses more data than sending an email or uploading a photo.
- Streaming videos from YouTube for an hour: 429MB data
- Downloading an album: 80MB
- Downloading an HD movie: 4.2 GB
What uses up your data?
BT Broadband packages come with different monthly allowances, which you can see below. The exception is if you have Unlimited Broadband with unlimited usage every month.
Data is measured in kilobytes (KB), megabytes (MB) and gigabytes (GB). 1,024KB is equal to 1MB and 1,024 MB is equal to 1GB.
Here’s a guide to what you can do with your monthly data allowance:
- Daily: Browse the internet for an hour a day
- Weekly: Watch one hour of online TV
- Monthly: Stream one standard definition film, listen to 100 music tracks or 10 albums, upload 100 photos
- Daily: Browse the internet for one hour
- Weekly: Watch two hours of online TV using a catch-up (like iPlayer) or three hours using a streaming video service (like YouTube), play online games for two hours
- Monthly: Stream two standard definition films, listen to 200 music tracks or 20 albums, upload 200 photos
- Daily: Browse the internet for four hours a day
- Weekly: Watch five hours of online TV using a catch-up (like iPlayer) or streaming video service (like YouTube), play online games for five hours
- Monthly: Stream four standard definition films, listen to 400 music tracks or 40 albums, upload 400 photos t
What doesn't use data
If you are a BT customer using BT Cloud and watching BT Sport via the app don't count towards your monthly allowance.
How to check your broadband usage
If you are a BT customer, the My BT app makes it easier than ever to check your broadband use, it’s just been updated and you can check BT TV, landline and BT Mobile use.
Available to Android and iOS users, the award-winning app* allows you to check and pay your bill, download it as a PDF, check your service status and optimise your router, as long as you’ve got a mobile data (3G or 4G) connection or are connected to wi-fi.
Download MyBT for Android.
Download MyBT for iOS.
Alternatively log in to: www.bt.com/mybt from a web browser using your BT ID. Go to My Bill – View your recent usage.
*The My BT app was awarded the Silver Award in the Best App category at the 2015 UK Digital Experience Awards