How to find old and forgotten workplace pension pots

As we work for so many different companies over our lives, it can be all too easy to misplace vital pension savings. Here's how to track them down.

Love Money
Last updated: 5 August 2018 - 6.20pm

It is relatively common to move jobs regularly now, but each time we do so we increase our chances of leaving behind a workplace pension that will end up forgotten.

So, how can you go about finding a long-lost pension?

Go through your paperwork

Most pension schemes will send you an annual statement that will tell you the balance of the pension at the time of the statement and a projection of what income it might generate when you reach retirement age.

Go through your old paperwork and see if you have anything relating to your pensions. If you find something, contact the pension provider to update your contact details and request an up-to-date statement.

[Read more: Pension freedoms – 5 things to consider before cashing in your pot]

Contact the pension provider

If you have no paperwork but can remember which company administered your pension then get in touch with them and ask them to search their records to see if they can find your pension details.

Try to provide them with as much information as possible to increase their chances of finding your old account.

If you have it give them the plan number, and the date your pension was set up. At the very least give them your full name, date of birth and National Insurance number.

Get the government’s help

If you have no idea who your old pension provider was then you can still hunt down old pension pots. The government’s Pension Tracing Service holds the details of over 200,000 pension schemes.

Enter your details and the service will search to see if you are registered with any pension schemes.

Once you have the details you can contact the provider to ask them to check their records and provide you with an up-to-date statement for your pension.

Contact old employers

If the Pension Tracing Service doesn’t uncover anything and you are convinced you had a pension with a previous job, contact your old employer.

Give them the details of when you were employed for them and your National Insurance number and ask if they can check their records to see if you had a pension.

You can find template letters for contacting an old employer about a lost pension on the Money Advice Service’s website.

[Read more: How to protect yourself from pension scams]

Pay for help

If all else fails, or you simply can‘t be bothered to put in the legwork you can pay to do a search on the Unclaimed Assets Register.

Provide your name, address and previous contact details and it will search through three million unclaimed share dividends, unit trusts, pensions and life insurance policies.

You’ll pay £25 for the search, but if you are successful the average payout is £6,000.

More from BT