Did you know that you can change your name on Facebook? This isn’t only handy if you change your name officially by deed poll, but also if you get married and take your partner’s surname.
But be warned: you can’t keep changing your name willy-nilly. To find out how to change it, and for guidance on what not to do, read on.
How to change your name
Changing your name on Facebook is a doddle.
- Load your Facebook profile, and click the down-pointing arrow in the top-right of the page and click Settings.
- Under General look for Name, click Edit and enter your new name.
- Click Review Change, enter your password, and click Save Changes.
What can’t I use in my name?
Remember that you’ll need to abide by Facebook’s name standards. These stipulate that you can’t include symbols, numbers, unusual capitalisation, repeated characters or punctuation in your name. You also can’t use characters from multiple languages, titles of any kind (for example professional or religious ones), words or phrases in place of a name, or offensive/suggestive words or phrases.
To see the full guidelines, click here.
What names are allowed on Facebook?
In addition to the above guidelines, Facebook has some more advice. The name on your profile should be the one that your friends call in you in everyday life. That way, it’ll be easier to find and connect with people, which is the whole point of Facebook. It should also match the one on an ID or document from Facebook’s ID list – this includes your birth certificate, driver’s licence, passport and marriage certificate.
However, they don’t have to match exactly. You can use your nickname/shortened name as a first or middle name if it’s a variation of your actual name (Bob instead of Robert, or Tom instead of Thomas, for example).
How often can you change a Facebook name?
You can only change your name every 60 days. This is to stop people becoming too hard to find or keep track of. So think carefully before you change your name. If you’re not happy with it, you’ll be stuck with it for the next two months!
How do you add another name to your Facebook account?
Facebook also lets you add another name to your account. Examples include a maiden name, nickname or professional name. It’s easy to do so.
- Click your name to view your Facebook profile and select About
- On the left-side panel look for Details About You and click Other names
- Use the drop-down menu next to Name Type to select the type of name you want to add Enter your other name.
- Check the box marked Show at top of profile to make your other name appear next to your full name at the top of your profile.
- Click Save, and you’re done.
If you don’t tick the box to list your other name at the top of your profile alongside your full name, it’ll still appear in the About section of your profile. It’ll also be visible in search results.