If you’re one of the 600 million people worldwide who use Facebook Messenger, you may be aware that you can now make video calls to fellow users.
This means that you and any of your friends can see each other face-to-face using your webcam or smartphone cameras, and chat – with voice instead of text – using your device’s built-in microphone.
It’s a pretty simple process – here’s how it's done.
How do I make a video call using Facebook Messenger on my computer?
1. Log into your Facebook page: Click on the Messenger icon at the top of the page. A drop-down list of your recent messages will appear. Click ‘See all in Messenger’, at the bottom which will open up Messenger to full screen.
2. Find who you want to chat with: On the left-hand side of the page there’s a box labelled ‘Search Messenger’. Type in the name of the friend you want to make a video call with. A new message pane will open up in the centre of the page.
3. Start a video call: In the top right-hand corner, you’ll see an icon that looks like a video camera. Tap this. You may have to go through a relatively quick setup screen or two to make sure your computer/laptop is ready. Then you are ready to go.
How do I make a Facebook Messenger video call on my phone?
1. Launch the Facebook Messenger app: Select your contact to chat with.
2. Tap the video camera icon: You should see the video camera icon in the upper right-hand corner of your screen; tap on the icon to start your call.
3. Start chatting: Remember if you aren't connected to wi-fi, you'll use your monthly data allowance. Video streaming uses quite a bit of data, so make sure you check your use or use wi-fi where possible.